Thursday, December 13, 2012

Coconut Curry Miso Soup...

















I can’t believe I forgot to post about this recipe, or maybe I can believe it. Things have been so busy around here lately that it’s easy to loose track. Well, the day I received my first CSA box I was so excited to use that Tat Soi that I decided to make it for lunch. It was a Friday afternoon and I needed something filling, hearty and warming before heading to work for the night shift. Originally I thought about making Miso soup, that seems to be my most common go to meal when I need something delicious and filling on short notice, but as much as I love Miso soup I was looking for something more. The more I thought about it the more I realized I was also in the mood for curry, and coconut. Now I know from past experiments that miso and curry actually go pretty well together but I wasn’t sure on the coconut. I envisioned like a Thai coconut curry of sorts but with the addition of Miso to give it that bold, well rounded, and savory flavor I love so much from miso soup.
















I didn’t know if it would workout but in the end I thought I couldn’t do that much harm. I guess I needn’t have worried too much, because the soup turned out so good that my husband and I gobbled up the whole pot. That’s two huge heaping bowls a piece. Now as much as you may want to eat this whole pot yourself once you make it, I highly suggest you share it with a loved one instead and serve a salad alongside it to complete the meal.
















Coconut Curry Miso Soup

2 ½ C Water
2/3 C Coconut Cream***
1/4 C Red Miso
4 Garlic Cloves Minced
Thumb Sized piece of Ginger minced
2 tsp Red Curry Paste
1/4 C Frozen Green Peas
1/4 C Green Onion sliced
½ Head of Tat Soi Sliced
1 Carrot Grated
1/3 C Black Soybeans
½ C Sliced Shiitake Mushrooms
1/4 tsp Ground Turmeric
2 ½ tsp Sliced Lemon Grass
Black Pepper to taste

- Combine Water, coconut cream, and red miso in a medium sized pot. Place over medium heat and stir until all the miso and coconut cream is dissolved and the mixture is smooth.

- Add in the garlic, ginger, lemon grass, curry paste, and turmeric. Mix to incorporate, until curry paste is dissolved.

- Add mushrooms, tat soi, and simmer for 10-15 minutes over medium or medium low heat until vegetables are soft.

- Add all other ingredients and simmer for 5-8 more minutes until warmed through.

-Serve hot and enjoy!
















*** Note - Coconut Cream is the thick cream that normally rises to the top of a can of coconut milk. Scrape the cream out of the can and use, do not use the liquid for this recipe. Reserve it for another use. Also in some Asian groceries and markets canned coconut cream is available.

PS: If you don't have Tat Soi you can use another Asian Green, though I highly recommend searching for the tat soi.

6 comments:

  1. This looks sooo GOOD! I am making it!!! Thought you might like to know I was at a Costco yesterday and for the first time I saw Organic coconut sugar, thought you might be interested, so check out your Costco! S.T
    Can't wait to try this soup!!! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very delicious!!! I couldn't stop eating it. Thanks! - M

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious. I never would have thought curry paste would work with miso, but it certainly does~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Everybody!
    and Thanks Janet! I think miso and curry is a pretty amazing combination, I didn't think it would go together either so it's a nice surpise to find out they're magical together :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just made this tonight & loved it! Will definitely make this again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fell I love with the pairing of miso and coconut thanks to a local restaurant's sipping broth that I crave. Thanks for giving me a fabulous recipe to make something maybe even a little better at home! The whole family loved this!

    ReplyDelete